"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, May 06, 2010

The First Home

Had a busy Tuesday with weekly Chairs & Vice Chairs meeting, followed by lunch with FFTNC and her visitor, followed by some shopping. Yesterday the House was in session, we worked through our usual lunch break and finished up a bit after 2 p.m. as I recall. The most impressive vote was on establishing a permanent speed limit for Lake Winnipesaukee...which I am gazing upon at this moment...269 for, 78 against.

I can count remaining sessions on one hand now, I think. But the decisions ahead will be difficult and painful.

It's very nearly the 16th anniversary of our becoming year-round residents of this state, and I've returned to my first home in NH, where we lived for some time before moving into the Lodge.

Nine days earlier than last year, I've moved into the cottage on the Big Lake. The girls are with me. They waited patiently while I stopped at the supermarket for provisions. On arrival our first order of business, of course, was a vigorous walk--in the drizzle--but then a breeze came up and blew the clouds and rains away. It's not exactly warm enough to be porch weather but I have no complaint about the view from my "office" window.



I bought a Spanish lavender plant and placed it in the old family bean pot.



The Chap will be passing by this afternoon, on his way home from a conference in North Conway. He'll stop in for some supper, and to trade vehicles with me.

Listening to live streaming BBC 4 on Election Day in Britain, and I'm eager to know the results. I've got very mixed feelings, even more so than last time. But lately, I have mixed feelings about most everything!

My projects while in residence are re-stringing the mandolin that lives here and practising a current (and challenging!) tune, working on the next novel, and starting another baby sock monkey, even smaller than the one I made a few weeks ago.


No comments: