"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Soggy Anniversary

Sixteen years ago today, after over a decade as seasonal residents, we became year-round residents of this great state. We lived here at the cottage for some weeks, while waiting to take possession of the Lodge. It's a date to celebrate.

Yesterday's gales died out, giving way to heavy rain in the early hours. It has been grey, drippy, and foggy. The girls and I had our first walk of the day at 8.45, and we're about to venture out for our second walk. (Yesterday, when it was sunny, we had 3 walks!)

A perfect day for curling on the sofa with laptop and dogs, sipping hot cocoa, listening to streaming live BBC Radio 4, planning a festive solo meal of hand-made mini whole wheat pizza (tomato, mushrooms, spinach, goat cheese) and wine.

I found out that my former local UK constituency went strongly Lib Dem in the election, something of an anomaly, although a fortnight ago such a result was expected in many constituencies other than Bristol West. It's been very interesting listening to the post-election analysis. Whoever has the privilege and responsibility of forming a government has a tough road ahead. I see pros and cons to all the possibilities. I long ago lost patience with Labour, collectively and individually, so I'm not bemoaning their losses. The Tories are far, far better on rural and countryside issues, which are vastly important to me; at heart I'm fiscally conservative, plus I'm a recovering Euro-skeptic. But...I've got areas of disagreement there, too. The Lib Dems made things a bit more exciting for a little while, Proportional Representation sounds fairer than the present method of allocating Parliamentary seats, but I seriously doubt they'll be getting their way on that point.

So, like Her Majesty, I simply await events, and will assess the outcome when there is one.

Down by our dock, the blueberries are in bloom.



And the girls are wondering what happened to all those mountains on the other side of our bay!



I have several options for tomorrow's activities. All good.


No comments: