"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 28, 2010

Going Coastal

I covered a lot of ground yesterday...

We all woke up at the lake cottage. The Chap went to church. The dogs and I met him back at the Lodge. After supper we drove to Hampton Beach.



Most people associate the NH seacoast of NH with recreation. I mostly associate it with family history. My ancestor Thomas Chase settled Hampton around 1639. I'm not sure how much time he spent hanging out on the beach--he was a mariner, he kept livestock and farmed, he would've fished the river. If he came back today, he'd find the beach very different from the way it looked in his day!



As it was a Sunday afternoon in the summer, The boardwalk was very busy. We went to an ice cream emporium for dessert. The Chap had a soft serve, and I tried something called "Lobster Tracks." Those hard candy bits look like lobster shells, don't they? Clever!



We'd travelled to this part of the coast (almost an hour's drive from the Lodge) to attend this concert.



Boz was in great form for the sell-out crowd. He played some blues standards from the Great American Song Book, but mostly performed his own tunes. The Chap had seem in perform once before, I never had. It wasn an early birthday celebration.

My favourite moment came when he Boz introduced a song and his inspiration for writing it...and then--and then!--he name-checked my own home town. Yay, Boz! (My best friend used to hang out with him back in those early days of his career, so I've known about Boz since before Boz got famous.)



He saved his most popular songs for the encore.



As I was headed for the exit, Boz was doing a runner for his tour bus. He passed next to me, so I thanked him for mentioning my hometown.



We drove home through the fog...it was so late, all the weekend traffic was gone.

I was briefly in Concord this morning and have returned with the dogs to the cottage. It seems like years since we were here...but it was only yesterday!


No comments: