"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, June 18, 2010

A Surprise

On Wednesday I joined the Fish & Game Commissioners, the Fish & Game Department, the NH House Fish & Game & Marine Resources Committee, former committee members, and others in recognising the contributions and achievements of our present committee chair (served 14 years in the House) and our ranking member and former chair (served 20 years in the House.) Both are retiring from politics and it's a real loss. They are truly good guys, dedicated public servants, admirably bi-partisan, and just generally fun to be around. They each made my experience as a committee member and as committee Vice Chair memorable and enjoyable.

The Vice Chair got a surprise...soon as I went up to the podium, before I had a chance to begin my remarks about the Chairman and present his gift from the committee, I was given one of my own.



It's a facsimile of state Fish & Game laws dating from the late 19th century. Am very excited.

Our two honorees received all kinds of loot, framed proclamations and clothing and more. It was a bittersweet occasion, but a really good going-away party.

When I was elected to the House, I got a pair of very nice pearl drop earrings and wore them a lot while legislating--and doing other things. On leaving the House, I have this treasured copy of the game laws as well as a (real) gold and diamond watch. A pair of diamond drop earrings has been commissioned (a re-creation using my studs and some loose diamonds and assorted old scrap gold) and is being designed at this moment. Actually that was coincidental, I'd have got them anyway. But it's a a neat closure to mark the end of my term/s in the House as I began it, with new dandly baubles!

The cool air of recent days has been replaced by the heat of a blast furnace. Walter is still down at the dock. I might have to purchase more worms!

Must run...the footie is on, Algeria v. England. If you can't work out which team I'm cheering on, you don't know me very well!


No comments: