"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I Love the Furminator

I own a host of dog-grooming tools, but only one lives up to the hype.

Ruth and Jewel don't have long or thick coats--unlike the 2 huskies or the 2 shelties with whom I've shared my life--nor do they spend much time outdoors in winter. But both have Border collie genes, and we do live in the Northern latitudes. Meaning that we must endure an annual Shedding Season.

They're mostly black dogs, but Jewel in particular has an oddly pale undercoat.



I'm fortunate that the girls love to be groomed. Truly, truly love it--especially Ruth. A few months ago when I bought the Furminator (on major discount at TJ Maxx) I was more afraid of it than they were! It has sharp teeth and is a hefty object. I tend to groom with rather a heavy hand, so I wondered whether I'd need to groom more gently than I do with other devices.



No worries. I can dig in as hard as I want, and the girls still love it.

The fur slides right off the dog, and there's a nifty release button so it drops right off, no need to pull at it.



Jewel doing her impression of a table. You can see she's not fussed about the Furminator.



Wee Ruth wiggles with excitement the moment she sees the Furminator in my hand. She can't get enough...even though she has less of a shedding coat than Jewel does.



Thus, grooming is a fun time for all. So fun, in fact, that when I weary of the task they turn their brown doggie eyes on me and plead, "Please don't stop!" (If only I could train them to pick up and dispose of the fur strewn along the ground beside the house!)



Perhaps I can divert them with a swim in the lake!


No comments: