"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, July 09, 2010

Survival

If you follow the national media--broadcast, print and internet--or you live in the mid-Atlantic region to New England, you've probably heard more than you care to about the heat wave. We're in the 5th day now--or is it the 4th? I suppose it depends where you are. I'm losing track.

As far as I can remember, I returned to the Lodge from the lake house on Tuesday. My mind is sort of mushy, less from the heat than from a packed schedule and so many decisions. Recent days are a blur of paint samples and granite countertop patterns and prices, boxes overflowing with book donations for the local library and items for Goodwill. I'm constantly reaching for my calendar, as some new meeting, appointment, party, memorial service, wedding, fitting, tradesman or repairman visit, out of state guest (yay!!), or other event has to be added. I thought July would be a calm and peaceful, possibly dull month...and now August is shaping up to be rather active also!

The flora are surviving the blazing sun and blasting heat.




The fauna know that the best defense against the hot weather is keeping the blinds down or finding a cool dark cavern!




I certainly hope the climate is more moderate wherever you are.

No comments: