"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Revisiting my Youth

Things seen & done recently...

But first, more spring flora from this winter-weary New Englander! Spotted on the White House grounds.



I spent a day re-visiting galleries and museums I've known all my life. I've been wandering round Washington, my mother's hometown, home to my grandparents for much of my life, and my own childhood playground.

This oft-reproduced work hangs in the National Gallery. When I was little my mother framed a copy of it and placed it in my bedroom--because I was so constant a reader.



All my life I've loved watching copyists.



I had two cameras with me yesterday, one of the Chap's and my newest one, which was perfect for this panoramic shot.



After lunch (see the posting above this one) I wandered across the mall to the National Scupture Collection. This metallic tree reminds me of the birches at the Lodge.



I had a sharp moment of nostalgia when I walked past the very spot where my grandfather would drop me off to visit the Smithsonian museums. While he attended meetings or lunch with some judge or official, I would wander the rooms of the "Nation's Attic," i.e. the American History Museum. I was about 9, 10, 11, and spent hours gazing upon artifacts until it was time for him to pick me up.

Many of the same items are still there--the doll house, the Star-Spangled Banner. I gave them only a cursory glance and devoted myself to newer additions.

Julia Child's kitchen.



The First Lady's inaugural gown. (The Chap happens to be attending an event with her today.)



I'd had a soup and salad lunch but we had reservations at our French haunt and I needed to work up an appetite. So I decided to stroll back to our house instead of taking the Metro. My route took me to the Washington Monument.



I continued to the White House.



I can never decide whether I prefer this view or the other one. One my way round to the opposite side, I studied the media farm, where the WH press corps do their stand-ups for their respective networks or news organisations.



The People's House.



I walked all the way up Massachusetts Avenue to our house--which I have yet to show. All in all I walked something over 2 & 1/2 miles. So I was actually hungry by the time we sat down to dinner with my aunt and uncle!


No comments: