"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Quiet Weekends



Even here on the Big Lake, a tourist and weekend mecca, things have got really quiet. The seasonal neighbours are departing, there are very few boats zipping up and down our Bay, even on a Saturday.

The leaves of some trees are already on the turn, though in the Lakes Region and southwards, the prevailing colour is still green. Considering the overnight temperatures, I don't think that will be true for much longer. We were threatened with 38 degrees overnight. This turned out to be overly pessimistic, but there's a decided chill in the air today. We'll be having a fire in our fieldstone fireplace tonight here at the cottage! Our furnace is in good working order.

I've just completed another hectic and demanding week, with another ahead of me. So this long weekend by the water--though I've brought work along--is a nice change. The Chap has been running errands in the village. He returned with news of having spotted four loons down the road at the little beach/boat launch area. Perhaps they'll swim this way.

Finally got round to reading Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, the historical novel about Thomas Cromwell and Henry VIII's divorce. (About 2 years after it garnered the Booker Prize and various other richly deserved honours.) I'm already salivating for the sequel.

I've read other books as well. I really need to update the sidebar list of what I've been reading. Might not happen till October.

I'll soon be releasing this dear little deer mouse, which has lived with us at the Lodge for the past fortnight.



Not much other news...well, nothing I'm able to share at the moment.


No comments: