"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

At the Setting of the Sun



Sunday's sunset over the Bay. Amazing to watch, with a quick conclusion. Darkness falls so swiftly at this time of year. Only, it doesn't exactly feel like "this time of year" because it's so warm and summer-like.

I returned to the Lodge Monday afternoon, for an appointment in Concord, and Tuesday meetings.

Yesterday morning a friend of mine died, exactly a month after his illness was diagnosed. We had a double connection, not only was he the husband of a dear friend and fellow diocesan volunteer, he and I served together for 2 terms in the Legislature. He was one of my favourite colleagues. He celebrated his 74th birthday a couple of days ago, in the Hospice House--where they let his beloved dog visit--and passed peacefully away surrounded by family. I last saw him at a mutual friend's house, for a dinner party, enjoying wine and food and laughter--and he insisted on a second piece of my Key lime pie.

I hadn't seen them lately, they spend summer and early fall at their farm in Maine. They had invited the Chap and me to visit. But by the time our summer parties and Montreal trips and other things were behind us, and I started to view the calendar with thoughts of a getaway to Maine, our friends were receiving the diagnosis and left the farm for rounds of tests and hospitals and bad news.

There's always comfort in these situations. The closeness of family and friends, the knowledge of a life well lived and well used. I can't regret that his suffering is ended, but I mourn lost opportunities to spend time with someone I valued.

It's a time to hug my husband tight, and cuddle my dogs a lot.

Today I'm having my last weekly mandolin lesson for a long while. I will resume in about 5 months, at the time of my birthday in March. Of course I'm not giving up the instrument, not after my investment in time and money, and the progress I've made. But I've decided it would be better to downsize my schedule, for several reasons. As well, I'm planning a trip and will be out of the country for a bit, and after I return one of my diocesan committees will enter a really instense phase of work lasting till mid-March.

Oh, and there's a novel I really should finish writing! Two of them, in fact.


No comments: