"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Return of the Sun

I did my usual (at least for now) Thursday to Tuesday stint at the lake cottage. It was characterised by incessant rain, very damp dog-walking sessions, and piercing silence. No loons in the Bay. No seasonal neighbours puttering about with their hammers and chainsaws and motorboats. And the fog so thick on Sunday that I missed all the crossings of the Big White Boat.

My search committee beat its October 1st deadline by a day, all the materials were uploaded and all went smoothly and feedback has been positive. After lots of mental and creative activity, my brain could rest.

Under these conditions, not surprising that I achieved much writing and much itinerary planning. The Chap was with us for about 24 hours. He continued with some closing-up tasks (in the rain) and helped with the dog-walking and brewed the Sunday morning coffee.

Yesterday I had a meeting, very likely my last, for a committee on which I've served something like 8 years. We ran a bit later than usual and I didn't begin the homeward drive until about a quarter past 6. I was startled by how dark it was at that hour.

The sunshine returned today after a long, long absence. Leaves are falling, the chipmunks and squirrels frantically dart about gathering food, and in some places the foliage is quite vivid, though still far from peak. The seasonal views will be much improved by the lifting of that curtain of cloud and fog and rain we've got used to.

Big day tomorrow,annual celebration. Rain or shine, this is always one of my favourite weeks of the year!


No comments: