"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, November 14, 2011

Signage

Always a photographic theme of my trips Over There: interesting signage.

Affixed to the outside wall of a pub that I neither entered nor left:



I've photographed this sign before, in a Buckinghamshire village. For the first time we saw the canem during "walkies"--small, compact, and not terribly fearsome. Unless, apparently, you are a postman bearing letters!



This sign can be found in buildings everywhere.



I drank only hard cider and perry in the West Country, so you'd have to ask the Chap if this brewery's claim is truthful and accurate.



Needless to say, we paid for our petrol before crossing the line.



An 18th century advert for a wine auction at Christie's.



Notice at entrance to a public park in Worcestershire.



If made from meat/fowl provided by poachers, the sale of these little pies at the butcher's in a Worcestershire market town would be highly illegal. I assume they're concocted using the poachers' recipe.



In the parish church in one of my ancestral villages in Bucks, the name of the local pub is emblazoned on this pew kneeler.



In the parish of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, very near the church of that name.



So many other photos of interesting things...was confronted by a very busy schedule on my return. More to come...eventually!


No comments: