"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, November 21, 2011

Sudeley Castle Gardens



As a gardener, garden-lover, garden historian, I chose to visit Sudeley primarily for its grounds and landscape. Well, that and the textiles collection. The Tudor-era connections were a bonus. It was the end of Sudeley's open season, about 48-hours before they closed to the public and resume life as a family property. Meaning we had the place to ourselves, and the guide in the upper rooms seemed thankful for interested and knowledgeable visitors. Seeing what a keen photographer I am, he encouraged me to take the photograph above. In fact, he opened the casement and helped me onto the ledge and kept me from falling out the window while I got my "money shot."

"You're the only who has this picture," he assured me.

The foreground portion shows a part of the public garden. But beyond lies the private garden enclosed by the family apartments.

The Tithe Barn.



Barn ruins and the Carp Pond.



The castle front.



View of the Costwold hills from the terrace.



Ruins of the Banqueting House and part of a knot garden.



Climbing Rose.



Entrance to the Queen's Garden.



An alley of shaved hedges. The lawn was like velvet.



Looking towards the castle from the Queen's Garden.



I love lavender!



This Cedar of Lebanon is very old...and tall!



An army of gardeners planted hundreds of tulip bulbs along the borders of the Secret Garden. One of them told us it's a new scheme/design for springtime.



A peacock at the entrance to the Pheasantry, where rare (very beautiful) pheasants from many countries are tended.



Autumn foliage and a willow beside a long pond.



Fun with yew hedges.



I've got many more Sudeley photos, mostly of the 17th and 18th century textile collection. They might become the subject of a future post....


No comments: