"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Leaf Peeping on the Lake

Our day on the Big Lake was gloriously sunny, and the foliage was putting on a good show for us.

lake view and foliage


a view up the bay

Here's another view, looking up the bay, from the hillside.


All the summer people are gone, the area was deserted. Only a couple of boats passed by--a small motorboat chugging up the bay, running into the wind, and the big boat, heading down the bay.

the boat goes down the bay


wearing a sweater on my head
It was so powerfully gusty down on the dock that I needed something to keep the wind out of my ears. I couldn't find a proper scarf, but I did find an old lambswool sweater handed on to me by my late mother-in-law. So I put it over my head and tied the sleeves under my chin. If my face looks flushed, that would be from the wind burn!


On the way home, I took this shot by the river--late afternoon, and the sun was lighting the trees beautifully. The photo really doesn't do the scene justice.


We stopped in the village to pick up Chinese noodles and crab rangoons, which we devoured when we got home.


No comments: