"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, October 06, 2005

On our wedding anniversary



On this date lots of years ago, on a lovely afternoon in a distant place, my husband and I were married. All the hopes and dreams reflected in this happy young face have been fulfilled. And then some!


This morning at breakfast, we looked over the wedding photos as we talked about how to celebrate in style. He presented a lovely little present purchased in London with much forethought. I impetuously gave him something that reflects our life together and this home and region we love so much.

Our friend the phoebe, unseen for weeks--months--unexpectedly turned up to wish us happy anniversary.

So, so much to be thankful for. I truly had no idea what lay ahead, way back then, wearing my mother's wedding dress and the Brussels lace veil my mother and grandmother and many a family bride had worn before me. Nor could I possibly realise how splendid and miraculous a partnership I was entering into!

No comments: