"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter Weekend

We've had busy days--and even nights, with church services on the evening of Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.

I spent the sunny Saturday puttering about the garden, where the bulbs are putting on a lovely display.



Saw a phoebe, briefly, but no more activity at the nest site.

Also, I cleaned my office, a major achievement. As my reward, my husband loaded up the DVD player with Pride & Prejudice (the recent film). It was his idea to watch it again.

I surprised him on Sunday morning with this Easter basket, and the gift of his favourite sort of licorice.



The happy and festive morning started out bright but grew grey and blustery while we were at church. During the service, we had surprise visitors: a pair of chicks, who had a starring role in the children's homily. After the service, their handler, our rector's son, let me hold one--so soft!



It wasn't a good outdoor day, so we spent the afternoon and early evening watching Amadeus: The Director's Cut, and the assorted documentaries associated with it.

Another grey morning this Easter Monday, not a problem as I've got indoor things to do. We expect a significant warm-up as the week goes on.

I'm frantically shopping for 17th century films today, for research purposes as well as entertainment. I've decided I absolutely must own The Draughtsman's Contract, and will try to obtain a copy of an even more obscure film featuring William and Mary. Fingers crossed!

I'm expecting a crucial parcel from London, another research related item...I hope hope hope it arrives this week, so I can stop obsessing about it.


No comments: