"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Return of the Phoebe

Our first, brief phoebe sighting was on March 31, and only rare glimpses since.

Today one phoebe has been around all day, snatching bugs from the air, and checking out the nesting site of the past 2 years, the light fixture outside our bedroom window.

Phoebe returns to nesting site

Last year, nest construction started on April 19, and that nest ultimately produced 2 broods of 4. Do the math, that's 8 little birdies! And we had a front row seat to the entire show.

We've only seen the single bird today. It's been extremely noisy, flying around, perching, yelling to its mate to come on over and start building.

Hey,let's get busy building a nest here!

It must remember me--and my camera--from last year, because it didn't mind a bit that I was snapping away from inside the house. I even got a "What are you lookin' at?" stare--coppin' some 'tude, aren't you, little birdie?

What are you lookin' at?

To the accompaniment of constant phoebe cries, and cardinal chirrups, and other birdsong, I repotted my azalea and a bunch of other things. For the rest of the afternoon, I was busy in my rose beds. I transplanted 2 roses that had been in their places, not very contentedly, for more than a decade.

Rosa alba semi-plena moved from a shady spot where it never bloomed much, to the brightest spot in the front garden, a lavender bed directly in front of my garden bench.

Rose de Peintres, a centifolia, was already in the front garden but was being crowded out by some expansive gallicas whom I love far more. So I moved the centifolia into the backyard along the fence. Not sure this was a good idea or not--time will tell. I must say, it came through the winter better than it usually does, virtually no dieback, and looks fantastic. But it hasn't bloomed for years and years, so it's a risk I had to take. Also along the fence, I planted some offshoots of my gallica Charles de Mills.

Plenty of blooming rose pics can be found here on my website.

Still waiting for the rose shipment to arrive. It's officially due tomorrow, but I hoped it might come sooner.

My first King Alfred daffodil opened today.


No comments: