"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Day after the Tempest

Yesterday brought a breeze--not a cool one, but at least the air was moving.

It was dreadfully hot again...it's no comfort knowing my other home, the UK, has suffered similarly.

Ruth and I had our walk and beach swim later than usual, not till 2 p.m. I was busy at the desktop, revising my chapter revision. She slept the entire morning--probably too hot to do much else.

When we returned, I picked the ripe blueberries down by the waterside--a substantial harvest. The water temperature was a whopping 82 degrees.

Late in the afternoon, the promised rainstorm arrived--rather, the tempest. The winds rose, the sky darkened, and the temperature dropped drastically, from 90-something to low 70's. I got all the primary windows closed in a hurry, adding to Ruth's thunder freak-out by my rushing all around shutting doors and unplugging appliances.

Rain fell in torrents, mixed with hailstones--some of them about 1 inch diameter, as best I could tell. The little wooden rowboat on the dock was blown over, and I feared the historic flagpole would snap.



I sat with the pup on her bed and cuddled while we waited out the storm.

Miraculously, the power stayed on.

Then, fairly soon, the clouds parted and the sun shone.

And I made some banana-blueberry crepes for supper. De-lish!



The air this morning is gloriously cool. The birdies--who had been mostly silent during the heat wave--started their chorus around 6:00. I counted nine different and distinct calls (including the loon's). Not sure how many species that represents, because some can sing more than one tune.

I think it's going to be a good work day. Now that it's only 70-something degrees, I get back the half of my brain that was so much occupied with feeling hot and uncomfortable! And the clear blue sky is ever so much more inspiring than that burry heat haze that was obscuring my mountains all this week.


No comments: