"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Parting Shots

Down on the dock last evening, we watched storm clouds hovering over the mountain. Fortunately, they stayed on that side of the lake!



On our side, we basked in sunshine and swam in flat, calm, clear waters. We could see every rock on the bottom of the lake, and every grain of sand. No wind, no chop, no wake--because there were hardly any boats.

Two flocks of ducks passed by, I believe each group had 6 members. The dogs watched them with great interest.



This morning is quiet and peaceful and cool.

We've definitely been living the On Golden Pond life here. There are so many similarities between our lakeside home and habits and scenery and that movie. (We, however, are far, far younger than the couple portrayed by Katharine Hepburn and Henry Fonda!)

This year marks the 25th anniversary of the film's release. As we sipped our morning coffee (him) and tea (me), we listened to a local radio program about the filming of the movie. In between anecdotes and analysis, portions of the soundtrack played. At one point I heard a loon's cry. This happens frequently in the film (we watched it just last week, so my memory is quite fresh.)

Except that loon sound wasn't coming from our radio speakers.

I glanced out towards the water, and there, at the end of our dock, was the loon.

We went down to visit him.



I suppose he turned up to say good-bye.

We're moving back to the Lodge today. The Chap has a meeting tonight, and I've got one tomorrow. I plan to return straightaway, and stay for a good long while. Ruth will probably accompany me, as she did the last time I was here on my own.

I must correct something I reported a couple of days ago. The Chap's sister declares that she does not consume ice cream each night, as the men of the family do. She eats it rarely, and mostly when her raspberries are bearing--like right now.

Speaking of raspberries, we're eating them at every meal. And as an evening snack, with or without ice cream!


No comments: