"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Catching Up

I've lived inside a whirlwind since Ruth and I returned from the cottage! Church on Sunday, candidate meeting that afternoon, obedience class last night, today an afternoon meeting and an evening meeting. All along I've had to do some prep for a diocesan retreat being held all-day Saturday on the Big Lake. Plus, the Chap and girls and I are running up to the cottage for a long anniversary/Columbus Day weekend.

Ruth and I went to obedience class without the Chap last night, he had a meeting at church. I snapped some pics before we began.

This is Ruth with her best friend Kate, another Border collie mix.



And this is Ruth with her other best friend Abby, also a Border collie mix.



We had four dogs in class last night, all black and white. (Last week there were eight, it was too crowded.) The first half of the class was very challenging, we learned something extremely hard. Ruth had had a long and active day, her concentration wasn't very good and I came close to losing my patience with her, which didn't help. But after a play break, she was very cooperative and aced the new task repeatedly.

The autumn foliage gets lovelier by the day--practically by the hour. We had a gloomy wet spell, but now it's warm and sunny. Haven't had time to change out my summer clothes for the other kind (although I dug out a selection of warm things for cottage use). So far it hasn't mattered much.

Only a few roses in the garden now...not much blooming besides my false sunflowers, so bright and yellow. But our Lodge has been brightened by some lovely flowers given to us by people. With really long stems, so I can use the big blue glass vase that was my late mother-in-law's.

This lavish bouquet was given us by Tess Gerritsen and her husband when they came to lunch. It lasted forever.



And I received this batch of beautiful sunflowers after church. When I said how lovely they were decorating the altar, a member of the Altar Guild gave them to me to take home. Thanks, Yvonne!



Off to bake some cookies for a meeting. Haven't done it in a while...I got sidetracked by my efforts to create the perfect Key Lime pie!


No comments: