"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Confinement

I spent yesterday, which was utterly gorgeous, confined in a large meeting room for an all-day training session for diocesan leaders. It was a good session and an articulate and dedicated group of people. The topic: Anti-Racism. And they fed us lunch. My chicken salad wrap was wrapped up in a very green wrap--spinach-y. Some people whinged, saying it was too green. But I liked it. Reportedly the same Very Green Wrap will also be available at the upcoming diocesan convention. That's ok by me.

Today we're confined to the Lodge. We slept very, very late because it's that sort of day. The weather has taken a terrible turn, it's like a hurricane outside--wet and violently windy. When I stepped out to retrieve the newspaper this morning, the rain was blowing in every direction and under my big umbrella! The electricity flicks on and off but so far has always come back on.

The girls are in Rainy Day Mode. I had a work session with Ruth this morning and let Lola join in--she's not as well educated, but for a few minutes seemed interested in what we were doing. Then Ruth and I played Fetch. Then I let them return to the important business of the day. As illustrated here.



This morning our church's annual Blessing of the Animals service was supposed to take place. But when the village cancelled their Octoberfest, the Blessing service was also cancelled. Given the weather, I'm relieved. Our priest offered to do individual blessings, as needed. Since he both he and our bishop have met Ruth--and touched, though not blessed her--I don't know whether we need to avail ourselves of his services at this time.

The Chap busted out briefly, driving to the village for some wine to go with our steak dinner and a DVD--The Madator. This plan for our evening entertainment sometimes ensures a complete and lengthy power outage. We hope not.

My white azalea is in bloom, has been for a few weeks.



Our candidate group has just received a massive infusion of cash--from a big politico. We already had a lot of dosh. Now I, our advertising maven, must find ways to spend it usefully in our three-town district in the short time before the election. Hmmmm. I had just got out of "strategery" mode, now I'm back in it again.

A friend and her friend in Philly have started their graceful new blog, Two Social Graces. You're only a click from enjoyment and enlightenment on civilised living in a modern and often uncivilised world.

It's clock-turning time. Oh, how I dread early dusk and darkness....


No comments: