"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, November 17, 2006

Only One?

There's some concern here at the Lodge about China's recently announced one-dog policy.

Ruth and Lola ponder this development. What if it happened here?



Ruth: Pick me! I'm really cute and extremely well educated. I don't take up much space. And I eat a lot less than she does.



Lola: Get over yourself! I'm beautiful and graceful and a superior guard dog. I'm 14 years young, and I've lived here a dozen years.



I told them not to worry.

Just received an email from a British Library staffer addressed "Dear Colleague," containing exactly the news I hoped for. My anxiety is eased. I am content. My love for the BL knows no bounds.

Something I forgot to mention: on Wednesday, I agreed to co-sponsor a House bill.

Yesterday I was contacted by a newspaper reporter and gave quote on the race for House Speaker. A breaking development probably made my comments irrelevent, because today's edition is an MEP-free zone.

Last night was so hot and muggy and humid and rainy, it felt like summer. Big, big change coming....later today.


No comments: