"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Gilbert Returns



And what a joyful reunion! We'd just come home from church when I spotted him near the empty chipmunk feeding dish. Then he raced around the deck railing and started to climb on bird feeders. So I went out to fill the chipmunks' dish. He darted down the stair, peered out at me through the lattice, and made little squeaks.

Seriously--he spoke to me! Thanking me for the food, no doubt.

He filled his cheeks with safflower seeds and ran off towards the front yard. (Not where we'd released him, but in the general area where I'd found him.)

He was instantly recognisable due to his youthful smallness, thin tail, pointy little nose, and the way he held his front right paw when he scampered. My husband, called in to verify the identification, took one look and said, "That's definitely him."

Gilbert had better stock up on food, and fast, because yesterday we had snow flurries. Not for long, but the flakes were falling.

We've just stored our canoe for the (ouch) coming winter. Ditto for one of our motorcars.

Going out for dinner last night--at our fave Mexican joint--with the canon-who-used-to-be-a-monk was great fun. He acknolwedged that the place lived up to my most enthusiastic description.

Oh, what a week this will be! In the next 48 hours some shopping, a meeting and an election, followed on Wednesday by campaign sign retrieval, another diocesan meeting on Thursday, our annual Diocesan Convention on Saturday. Then on Sunday at church is giving a celebration of ministry and a farewell reception for our beloved parish priest of the past 6 years.

Remember, remember the Fifth of November....In honour of Guy Fawkes's Day, we'll be grilling our dinner outdoors tonight. I think we need to have a wood fire as well, and not only because it's Bonfire Night. Well, in the UK it is, and we tend to mark these occasions.

But for now, I'm off to see Gilbert again.




No comments: