"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, January 26, 2007

Keeping Warm on a Cold Day


The good news: it's 2 degrees Fahrenheit. Why is that good?

Because it was only -6 when we woke this morning.

The bad news: it's blustery, meaning the wind chill is something I don't even want to think about. Probably -10. In places farther north, they expected wind chills of -25 or -30.

Yesterday I popped into the city for a couple of hours. It was freezing, but not like today!

At the State House I had coffee with the Governor of our fair and frigid state--not on my own but as part of a group of freshmen legislators. I didn't count heads, but I guestimate there were 15 of us, perhaps more, seated around the long table in the Executive Council chambers. I'm fairly sure I was one of the youngest in the room. The group included one person I've got to know rather well, but the rest were only known to me by sight, from orientations and other gatherings.

We had a good conversation--the Governor shared his goals and priorities, we shared ours. He expressed a desire to make this a positive and productive session for all of us. At the moment he's wrestling with the budget, which he'll present in a few weeks. And we're all mulling over the school funding issue.

On the way home I stopped at the Division of Motor Vehicles to renew my driving licence. It doesn't expire till my birthday in early March, but I received the notification and renewal form this week. When the bills start coming in for consent--or debate--things will get really crazy in the Legislature and I wanted to get it out of the way. The process was quick and painless, and my new photo turned out okay.

Back to the sofa, where my laptop and a napping Ruth await me. I'm editing a chunk of my novel, all the day long!


No comments: