"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, February 19, 2007

Monday at the Lodge

We had a busy Sunday, so we're in recovery mode. Luckily the Chap can spend today at home, thanks to all those Presidents we're honouring. I expect a day of telephone calls related to a controversial bill coming up in my committee on Thursday. So far this morning I've had 3 or 4 of them.

After church yesterday we returned home for lunch. The snow flurries came fast and thick, but didn't last long.



In the afternoon we returned to church for our parish Mardi Gras potluck dinner.



Everybody brought a favourite hot dish--jamalaya, chicken curry, cassoulet (moi), chili--or salad or dessert or appetiser. Among the desserts was a traditional King Cake decorated with green and purple and gold sugar. (Anything featuring almond paste makes me happy!) I wasn't the one to find the little pink baby baked inside, but the cake was sufficient reward in itself, it was absolutely delicious.



Here I am, post-party, taking a break from clean-up. The Chap gave me those beads I'm sporting--he acquired them at Mardi Gras in New Orleans only a few weeks before we met, back in...well, it was a very long time ago!



During our homeward drive, we saw a deer leaping a snowbank on the side of the roadway.

We watched the premiere of the all-star edition of Amazing Race. Some of the contestant couples are ones that I've loathed in the past, so this will be hard going for me. The Chap loved it.

It was extremely windy all night, and so far today. The temperature is way back down in the low digits but isn't supposed to stay.


No comments: