"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What Severe Wind Chill Looks Like



Snow whipping off the roof of a neighbour's antique Antiques Barn earlier this week. It was the day of single digit temperatures wind gusts of significant mph.

Our weather has been consistently frigid of late and the winds brisk enough to create dangerous wind chill--like -20 or -30 overnight. An Arctic blast blowing at us from Canada has apparently settled in.

These inclement conditions make me long to curl up indoors and let the wind and cold rage as I pound at my keyboard. Unfortunately, this week my overpacked schedule requires me to be everywhere but the Lodge. But I'm not just spinning my wheels--accomplishments have resulted from all this hectic activity. Our county corrections department budget is finalised. My legislative committee held four public hearings. By tomorrow's end, I'll have completed four diocesan committee meetings (including my most beloved committee, where we laugh and eat and do Good Work.) Today I attended a party Caucus on educational adequacy definitions.

Oh, plus I successfully met a couple of deadlines for short articles.

My crazy hours mean I haven't seen much of my beasties or the Chap. Today my State House colleagues reported various sightings of him in and around the Legislative Office Building. I wasn't so lucky.

One component of tonight's dinner will be gratin dauphinoise, a special request. Better get busy slicing those spuds and mashing that garlic and shredding that cheese!


No comments: