"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, July 13, 2007

Summer Scents



On sale in all the tourist shops and traditional country stores around New Hampshire and Maine (probably Vermont, too--I spend very little time there), you'll find for sale these delightful miniature canvas or linen pillows. Because they're stuffed with hemlock needles they smell wonderful, and enable the visitor to carry home the evocative aroma of the North woods--which lasts forever.

I bought mine years ago and can vouch that the scent is everlasting.

For the past several days, every time I step out of the Lodge, I'm nearly knocked over by that wonderful smell. I don't think I've ever noticed it to this extent. Here's my theory: the violent rains in the past week bruised the young hemlock needles and released the scent in a more powerful way. Or maybe it happens every year, and I forget. The aroma hits me whether I'm on the deck, or the screen porch, in the front gardens or the backyard. I think it's not quite as strong today as it has been--we haven't had rain in the past 24 hours, which might corroborate my theory about the cause.

Rose of the Day: Tuscany



Another one on the list of major favourites. And yes, another of my treasured gallicas. It is assumed to be extremely old, possibly ancient. The colour is like burgundy wine, it's very fragrant, it sprawls and, at peak bloom time, becomes almost prostrate.

Like it's cousin Rosa Mundi, it's featured in the cover painting for my "rosy" novel, and pops up in the book.



It has bloomed itself out. Today I picked the final blossom.



My three four-legged companions and I are off to the cottage on the Big Lake--where the hemlocks also smell very pleasant.

You know what that means...too many photos of mountains, water, canines, and waterfowl. I'll try to restrain myself!


No comments: