"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Views along the Parade Route

Today I rode in a parade! This is one of the most enjoyable activities for a state representative--or a political candidate.

It's Old Home Day weekend in one of the three towns I represent. Each of them has an Old Home Day--one is in July and two are in August.

Old Home Day, instituted in 1899 by one of our governors, is a New Hampshire summer tradition, like agricultural fairs. You can learn all about its history here

This year the July Old Home Day town is celebrating its 225th anniversary--a "young" town, for New England.

The Cub Scouts' float featured a birthday cake.



Three of our district's four represtatives--100% of the female reps--rode in the parade. In a blue 1970 Cadillac convertible, probably the biggest car I've ever ridden in that wasn't a limo! I'm telling you, it was a stylin' ride.

We got in line behind a Bee Lady on a Segway (a New Hampshire invention) and another birthday cake float.



Our chauffeur, spouse of one of our reps, checks out the progress. We would be following one of the two bands--the one on the flatbed trailer behind the red fire truck. Town Bands are another New Hampshire tradition.



The babes in the Blue Convertible are ready to go!



We waved at everyone along the route--all the way along Main Street, then Elm Street, then Depot Street, and back to the starting point. We went right past my church. The Chap was on the front lawn, grilling hot dogs for our Outreach fundraiser. Half the parish seemed to be working the food tent, and they shouted out and waved to me.

The weather was perfect, bright but not hot. I had a wonderful time.

After the parade, I treated our chauffeur and our young flag waver and one of my fellow reps to hot dogs--grilled to perfection by the Chap. (He lost count of how many dogs he cooked after 300, which was before I got there). Then I went to the Undercroft to help church volunteers box up items from our New To You sale tables and load the snazzy bicycle the Chap purchased (for $15!)into my car.

Can't wait for our next parade!




No comments: