"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, August 03, 2007

Bienvenue, Monsieur le Président!


Mere miles and due north from me, President Sarkozy of France is enjoying a Lake Winnipesaukee vacation.

Read all about it here.

And here.

And here and here.

As all the articles observe, we host film, political, international celebrities around here. But a Head of State--that's a whopper of a CFA (Comes from Away), and the biggest I can remember.

I am forced now to re-think my ardent support of Ségolène Royal. I'm not at all sure that Mme. Royal would have displayed the same excellent taste shown by her successful rival for the presidency.

If I hopped in the car and drove a relatively short distance, I would cross the town line of America's Oldest Summer resort. He could be really, really close by. If I smell garlic wafting down the lake, I shall know how close!

I'm always whipping up lovely crèpes when here. And pain perdu. Should I invite him to dine with us?

Maybe better not. The only wine on hand is from California. Tant pis!

In the coming days I shall watch from my dock for the distinguished visitor--I suppose for now I may consider him my neighbour. Perhaps he'll decides to tour my Bay in a watercraft. We can boast a rather notable mountain--the one framed by the window where I'm sitting.


No comments: