"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, August 10, 2007

Wrapping up my week

Friday's weather much like Monday's, but my location has changed and in between were a couple of crazy-busy, hot and muggy days. I left the Big Lake lake late Tuesday afternoon. Worked at the office Wednesday--the new course catalogs arrived, boxed up and in the thousands. Yesterday--a blur of activity. Four hours at the office. Plus I attended the retirement party for the Director of the Fish and Game Department.

(How many state Commissioners, Fish & Game staffers, wildlife biologists, legislative committee members, law enforcement officers, conservation organisation directors, and National Forest rangers can you fit into one meeting room? If I'd counted heads, I'd know the answer!)

My next appointment was only a five-minute drive. It was the monthly Diocesan Council meeting--I'm the Moderator, and the agenda builder, and the time-keeper. We had a mile-long agenda, there's so much really cool stuff going on. The Bishop talked about his trip to London and upcoming House of Bishops meeting (the A.B.of C. is attending), and Anglican Communion stuff. And his endorsement--in his capacity as a private person--of a presidential candidate, which is generating a storm of comment within the diocese (front page story in today's paper).

I found out today, from an apologetic staffer, that my name is on a list of politician's endorsements that went out to the media. I hadn't yet given permission to this particular campaign use my name. I don't know that I was going to do so ever. Even if I did, I would've waited till after Labor Day. While I'm not deeply upset about the snafu, I regret it. I'm not convinced that endorsements from state legislators--coveted though they seem to be--make one iota's worth of difference in the long run. Also, my town/district was listed incorrectly, so it may be that the local media won't even notice it's me. In any case, I haven't had any phone calls about it.

It just happens to be the same candidate the Bishop endorsed. I've been one longer than he. I just haven't mentioned it here, or anywhere else.

Today is a busy day at the Lodge--catching up on missed phone calls, chatting for an hour-plus with my mother, doing laundry I hauled home from the cottage. Emptying my old dishwasher for the last time. Waiting for the delivery and installation of the groovy new dishwasher.

By evening the kitchen makeover will be complete. New stainless and black fridge. (I'm still in lurve with it.) New stainless and black toaster oven. New black dishwasher. Be still my heart. We only decided on this project a month ago, if that.

Next I'll answer Janice's question in a separate post.

No comments: