"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Back Again

Yesterday I had lunch in Portsmouth with this author friend who lives in a neighbouring state and is on her book tour in my territory. We had a fantastic lunch here. Our spouses were unavailable so it was just us. So we could talk our hearts out about writing, publishing, family members, conferences, and of course, our spouses!

Today I've been working on the list of primary sources I'll be consulting in my upcoming library visit.

I'm getting lots of research done in the evenings. I continually find elusive answers to long-asked questions. Example: a couple of days ago, I discovered the birthplace of the duchess (see entry below). It plays no part in my novel, but it's nice knowing. The genealogists have got it oh, so wrong...they assume she was born in the house in which her father died. Sorry, but no. Her parents lived in at least two other residences before that final one. When she was a young child they moved from her birth side across the square to this house where she would have spent part of her childhood. Both are familiar to me, I pass by them often. I look forward to soon gazing at them again, though their are much altered since her and her parents' time.

My diurnal clock is messed up. I've got Book Insomnia. I write scenes in my head all night and sleep really late in the morning.


No comments: