"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Official Activities

I began the morning at the State House, where 50+ fourth graders plus teachers and parents from one of the elementary schools from in my district had their scheduled tour. As I arrived, they were gathered at the front steps.



The State Reps and State Senator were there to greet them and welcome them to the people's house. I was able to participate in the tour as far as the Senate Chamber. Then I had to go to the Legislative Office Building, where my committee was meeting in Executive Session to deal with our two retained bills. They both went down in flames, as I expected.

It was a pleasant surprise when the Chap, who had been monitoring a committee across the hall came into our chamber and sat in on the last hour or so of our deliberations. He and I then went into the dungeon cafeteria for a quick lunch date. I had pink lemonade and the biggest brownie I've ever seen. It was about 6 inches square. I shared it with my husband, ate a portion myself, and it still took me all afternoon to finish it off. It was delicious, very moist. I'm sorry I discovered it. Could become a habit.

Headed to my office for a few hours. I was the only staff member there from my department--as I've been all week. My last days on the job have been solitary ones.

My next stop was the opening ceremonies and ribbon cutting for the new independent nonprofit cinema downtown. I've been a supporter of this project for years--the return of an indie art house/cinema has been long-cherished vision of the community. Its predecessor, which I frequented, was closed and demolished well over a decade ago.

I joined a huge crowd crowd inside the theatre, which has three screening rooms. And the most comfortable seats imaginable, well upholstered, and they recline! The seating is stadium style, at a very steep angle so the view of the screen is entirely unobstructed. I watched a Foghorn Leghorn and a Road Runner cartoon in the biggest screening room (awesome state of the art sound system!), some foreign films previews in the next screening room, and some sort of indie film in the smallest screening room. Ran into some constituents and some fellow parishioners in the crowd.

At 6 p.m. we headed into the courtyard for the ribbon cutting. Many dignitaries assembled there--Mayor, City Council folk, at least one Senator, big money donors and supporters, the Board of Directors, general public.



The Yogurt Mogul, the Board Chair, the Governor, and the Theatre Director (pictured below, left to right) made appropriately joyful and celebratory remarks.



Yogurt Mogul, Governor, Board Chair, and others cutting the ribbon.



I'm watching the tv coverage on the 11 o'clock news right now. Don't expect to see myself, I'm too skilled at dodging cameras!

A busy, productive day. Therefore, a good one.

No comments: