"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Rambling through the Roses

Are you sensing a pattern on this blog lately? Roses. Lake. Roses. Lake.

Such is my life at this season.

Rose of the Day: Kazanlik. This damask rose, also known as Trigintipetala, will bowl you over with its scent. I'm not certain of its precise age, but for well over a century it has been commercially grown in Bulgaria to make essential oil for rose perfume.



White rugosa. Busy bumblebee.



John Davis. A recent addition, planted bare-root in the springtime.



Mary Rose, one of the most reliable of the David Austin English Roses.



Maiden's Blush, my pale-pink damask, is still blushing.



Hot and muggy today. I'd prefer to slog about the Lodge in skimpy garments, listening to the loon and focussing my heat-stunned brain on the manuscript. Instead, I must polish, buff, brush, paint and dress myself and head up-state to somebody else's lake house for a luncheon party with strong political overtones.


No comments: