"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Transformation

When Ruth and Jewel and I returned from our morning walk, as usual we went down to the dock so they could take a cooling-off dip in the water. And on the trunk of the maple tree I saw this green dragonfly...



...crawl out of this carapace.



That tree is a popular site for molting. Other empty shells clinging to it included this one nearby.



It's some sort of beetle, and very large.



...and this one, higher up.



After running up to the house for a cup of tea, I returned and sat down on the steps, a fascinated witness to the entire show.

Very slowly, the dragonfly started extending its wings.



They were delicate and so transparent in the sunlight.



What looked like 2 single wings separated into a pair of double wings. The full set of wings parted--the moment I'd been waiting for!



The instant my shutter clicked, the dragonfly flew up, up over the boathouse and away.


No comments: