"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Back Alley Shoot Up

Another light blogging week. Been very Busy. Lotsa meetings--all good. Some PR work for cookbook. (Third printing selling out quickly, fourth printing coming soon to cover anticipated holiday sales.) Overnight company last night, which we all enjoyed--especially Ruth and Jewel. They were crawling all over our guest, who didn't seem to mind and in fact encouraged it.

Am now Distracted. A major explosion occurred within a branch of the publishing industry upon which I used to be a twig. The blogs and news sites are in a constant state of uproar. I'm totally removed from all this, merely a fascinated (and appalled) observer, although theoretically it could adversely affect real people I actually know so it does matter matter to me. These Internets suddenly make interesting reading as the industry and the entire population of published authors and aspiring writers tries to digest this bizarre development.

This morning after our company departed, I dressed and went to (undisclosed location) for what I jokingly (sort of) refer to as my "back alley flu shot." Seasonal flu shot, I hasten to add.

Many, many moons ago when the world was young and we all believed that seasonal flu vaccine would flow as freely as the Suncook River in the springtime, I was invited to sign up for a non-public flu clinic available to a certain (supposedly) privileged class to which I belong. I was disappointed that it was scheduled for after my overseas trip instead of before, but I signed up on the assumption that I would survive any foreign form of flu I might contract while travelling. (Major unexpected miracle: I returned to the US unaffected by any British or Flemish or Dutch germs, as well as all that germy re-circulated airplane oxygen.)

Shortly before flying off to foreign lands I received word that, due to massive demand for shots and resulting dearth of vaccine, the clinic was cancelled. I'd already made an appointment for later in the year with my Primary Care Provider, and at first assumed her office would have the shot...and then grew somewhat doubtful after repeatedly hearing reports of shortages.

A couple of days ago, after dark, I received a telephone call. "The clinic is back on," someone whispered. "We're informing only the people on the list. Don't tell anybody. Come to Room XXX in the XXX on Wed. the 18th between XX and XX o'clock."

"Okay," I replied in a low voice, even though I was the only human in the house.

Today I sneakily entered the secret location, found my way to Room XXX, exposed my arm, and got my shot.

Mind you, the only time I ever seem to contract something resembling the flu is in the years when I get the shot.

As for H1N1...who knows when or where or how? I'd like to think that one of these days I could score me some "back alley" anti-swine juice, too, preferably before I spend an entire winter and spring in a tightly-packed chamber with 400 other germ-breathing, bacteria-passing people. On the other hand, the demographics of New Hampshire's legislature are encouraging. The median age is well, well, well above the age groups most at risk.

In other medical (my least fave topic) news--the new recommendations for mammograms. Colour me confused. I only know I won't be seeking a "back alley" mammogram. You think they don't exist? Check out this dude:



Not much on my schedule in coming days. Manuscript editing and a dinner party. Snuggling with dogs. Planning Thanksgiving dinner. Probably some blogging, too!


No comments: