"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

From the Lodge



Last breakfast of the trip. I finally caved to my pent-up desire to try this most tempting product. All the Waitrose yogurts feature Jersey cream, but the richer ones are about 250 calories per pot and I restricted myself to about 200 cal per pot, meaning I relied upon Duchy Originals (Prince Charles's brand) or something else, or the fruity Waitrose ones.

The last dinner of the trip was another curry meal at our local. Well, we had the chicken biriyani as well as a lamb curry. And bindi bhaji.

Flight home was severely bumpy in the middle, just as we were served lunch. I ate throughout the turbulence. Drinks services were suspended; the air hostesses were sent back to their seats to strap in. The air smoothed out after a while, except for another bumpy patch just before we made landfall. Landing at Boston a bit rougher than I would've liked.

Back home in New Hampshire we found an altered landscape, mostly leafless. Without the foliage, the countours of our surroundings are more clearly visible, and very beautiful in this stark new version of autumn. I had an opportunity to admire the terrain as I drove to kennel to fetch the dogs, winding from hill country up to the high ridges.

Here's the view they enjoyed during our absence.



On their first morning home, Jewel inspects the property.



Happy Ruth in mid-wag.



It'll take ages to sort through the post...the PO handed over a huge bin filled with stuff. Way too many catalogues, and a towering stack of magazines.

I phoned my dad on his birthday. After hearing my description of the sublime meals we enjoyed overseas my mother (who I think believes I shed too much weight a year ago) asked, "And what about that 30 pounds you lost?"

"Didn't gain an ounce," I reported. I admit, I was surprised. But I was walking so much I must've burned off all calories. Or else I was eating more sensibly than I thought. (You know, by avoiding those really rich Waitrose yoghurts!)

The Chap had the day off from work, for Veterans' Day, so I kept thinking this was Saturday. We made the most of Our Beautiful Laundrette, aka our new laundry center. We used our front-load washing machine and clothes dryer extensively today.

I found buds on many of my houseplants--azalea, camellia, banana shrub. Cyclamens in full bloom. Anniversary kalanchoe still has flowers.

This little British robin followed us home.



It's meant to be a Christmas tree ornament, but I didn't want to wait to enjoy it.

Diocesan and parish matters are about to take over my time: tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday. Good thing I don't have jet lag!


No comments: