"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, March 22, 2010

Finished & Delivered

The major news story of the day is...not what you might think!

As of today, my completed manuscript is now in my agent's possession. What was, at the year's end, a bloated novel of more than 151,000 words is reduced to a sleek 129,800 words (and is still the biggest book I've ever written.) Over a decade has passed since I had the initial idea, and since I began researching and crafting the story in earnest about 4 years have gone by...during which I did a lot more than just write. As any regular blog visitor knows.

Let the celebration begin!


blingeeduke




Springtime Duchess




I waited approximately 15 minutes before starting on the next novel.

The other news headline is that I spotted another type of rodent today. I happened to be gazing out the kitchen window towards my front garden when I saw a small furry ball skittering across the ground. A vole! I went out there with my camera but he saw me coming, and being a shy sort slipped down into his vole hole. (I now know where it is and can keep a close watch.)

The weather has taken a cold, wet turn and will only get worse as the week wears on. I'll be indoors a lot, at the State House.

Mind you, delivering the manuscript is merely the next--and necessary--step in process of creating a book. But it's a major milestone.


No comments: