"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, March 26, 2010

Wrap-up of the Week



This is how I found Jewel when I came home from my music lesson this afternoon. It was a brisk, 37 degree day, but as you see it was sunny.

I've survived this momentous week. Not only did my manuscript cross over from my laptop to my agent, on Wednesday--the day before Crossover Day in the legislature--the House bills crossed over to the Senate and vice versa. So that was another deadline met. Best of all, we finished our session by mid-afternoon and didn't have to return on Thursday as we'd been doing in recent weeks. Not that I had a totally free day...we had an Evangelism Commission meeting. My FFTNC was there, and we had a shopping excursion after and the Chap met us downtown for Mexican dinner.

I finished knitting my prayer shawl. I'm planning work on a different sort of craft project but I've also started some other knitting projects, too.

This morning after FFTNC and I finished our morning coffee, she returned to the North Country and I headed for the Seacoast to have brunch in Portsmouth with a friend. I'm eagerly awaiting my first great blue heron sighting and thought maybe I'd see one on that side of the state. Maybe the waters are still too cold and/or the small fish aren't running yet. Anyway, I didn't see one but I did see the tide full in. And seagulls flying around.

After brunch I went to Macy's and made use of the $10 birthday gift certificate they sent me. I bought 4 tops for $27, with the combination of store discounts and the coupon. These are spring-summer type tops, so it was an act of faith that the warm weather is on its way back.

I stopped at the Lodge to pick up my mandolin and music book and then went to Concord and then came home to find Jewel contentedly sunbathing. I think Ruth must've been in the dog house at that point.

Since coming home I've updated our parish website (in the nick of time!) for Palm Sunday and Holy Week and Eastertide.

My short fiction project submission is due at the end of the month but I'll probably submit over the weekend. (I so love beating deadlines!) In hours to come or tomorrow I'll finish my 3rd (or is it 4th?) draft edit, at which point I'm done.

I sort of lost count there at the end, but I think my novel manuscript had 7 drafts (or was it 8?), which seems like a lot--even for me.

Hurtling through this week I sort of forgot that there would be a weekend at the end of it. I have absolutely no idea what that Chap and I will be doing...except that there's a Procession of Palms at church on Sunday, and he's the Narrator for the Passion Play.

Other than church services and a music lesson, I don't think there's anything on my schedule next week. Like, nothing. It feels very strange, but I'm quite relieved!

Hope your weekend is a good one!


No comments: