"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Sunday Stroll: Foraging



My red, white & blue breakfast. I went down to the dock this morning to pick the blueberries, which are ripening just in time.

It occurs to me that like the Stars and Stripes, the Union Jack is also red, white & blue. I leave you to draw your own conclusions about my divided loyalties. Can't help it, I had relatives on both sides of the long-ago struggle for possession versus independence....

Last night the town at the bottom of the bay held the annual fireworks show. There's a floating bandstand, people come by land and water to watch. We sit here at the lakeside and observe the thick flow traffic down the Bay before the show, and up the Bay immediately afterwards. We spotted Winnipesaukee Belle in the pack, beautifully lit with a live band on board. We could hear the music as it went by the cottage.

New England is entering a heat wave, with temperatures soaring to 90 and above for the entire week. At the moment we're thankful for a cool breeze and cool lake water. The Chap and Ruth went swimming yesterday and I mean to do it today. Jewel isn't so keen, but perhaps she can be tempted.

Wishing my US visitors a most happy 4th of July and a pleasant holiday tomorrow. Have fun and be safe!

To keep strolling, stop by Aisling's blog.


No comments: