"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Talk Talk Talk



The latest photo of Terry and me, taken yesterday at lunch by her husband.

Had a nice visit to Portsmouth, dining with the Gerritsens at our fave Italian place, sharing news of family and writing and publishing and travels and growing things.

The drenching overnight rain continued through some of the day, and has really greened up the landscape. We needed the water desperately.

My topic last night for the library program was "Water Your Mind," the kick-off for their Adult Summer Reading Program. The event exceeded everybody's wildest expectations, including my own. A large and enthusiastic group, a bit of show and tell, good audience participation with Q&A. Local media presence. Organisers pleased. Cake and brownies and more conversation afterwards. So glad they invited me.

We served on the new library building committee and were major donors (however, the Porter Reading Room was not the location for my talk--we were in the big meeting room!) So my appearance there had special meaning.

With the Chap away, I'm unaccustomed to so much talking--first at lunch, and then all evening long! My throat was tired when I got back to the Lodge.

Busy today, in advance of another another hot and extended period beside the Big Lake. With dogs. And a houseguest. Must remember to pick some flowers to take along.


No comments: