"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Glory of the Morning



Our mornings and evenings are beautifully cool now, a great relief after our late summer heat wave of last week, with temperatures 90 and above. We've also received some much-needed rain--though not enough, and not from Hurricane Earl, who fizzled to a drizzle by the time he arrived.

I'm in residence at the Lodge this week, for better access to a multitude of meetings, music lesson, and receiving any overnight guest who might care to stop with us (our FFTNC), her wedding dress fitting (oh, it's so gorgeous), and a series of routine annual medical appointments.

At the weekend I cleared out a very scary section of our attic loft where accumulated clay pots and planters and unused plant stands and partly filled bags of potting soil and stakes and other indoor and outdoor gardening items had taken over. I organised everything and got rid of so much. Assuming it might be useful to others if not to me, we set up a little giveaway spot by the little lake with a sign that said "FREE!" and less than 48 hours later all dozen or so items had vanished.

On the home decor front, I've made changes in our master bedroom (new colour scheme, new duvet cover, new pillows.) I think we might next alter our guest bath/shower room, so I've been busy with the measuring tape and I haunt the aisle of the local Lowe's and Home Depot, picking out cabinetry and tile flooring and sink and stuff.

When I surface again, I'll probably be back at the Big Lake...


No comments: