"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, September 03, 2010

Home Improvements

I know, it's been a long time since I popped in. Much of the time I was at the lake cottage, revelling in the solitude--although the Chap and I did attend a neighbourhood cookout on Sunday. Perhaps the record-shattering hot weather (nearly a week of over 90 degrees) sapped my mental energies. Yesterday in Concord my car's temperature gauge fluctuated between 95 and 99. The air is better today, as Hurricane Earl approaches New England. We don't expect much out of it except rain, which might give us a chance to test the efficacy of our new chimney cap, which was installed yesterday.

I've spend so much time away from the Lodge of late that whenever I return, I marvel at the changes here. Our kitchen and dining room renovations are completed. I'm doing a bit of re-decorating in our bedroom as well.

Here's a little tour of what has been accomplished.

New granite counter top, undermount sink, and faucet.



When I was growing up we had a set of Harvest Pear china, and when my mother offered it to me I was delighted. I've got so much china of my own, everyday, antique Blue Willow, and 2 fine china patterns, that I use Harvest Pear for decoration and utility. So I've hung some plates over the counter and use the large pitchers to hold utensils and some of the bowls and other vessels for plants.



The kitchen and dining room walls are now a pale green and the ceiling is creamy white. The French Knot cabinet pulls are new. Am waiting on the back-order to arrive so I can install the matching drawer pulls. Also, there will be a shelf over the microwave, for more cookbooks. Many of them fit perfectly into the topmost cabinet.

When cooller weather arrives all the plants on the deck and the porch will come inside. I decided to buy some antique tables for plants. One of them is this old sewing table--with working foot pump. Once I set it in place, I realised that my great-great grandmother's chair would be a perfect match! She was quite a needlewoman, and needlepointed the chair cover.



And in other chair news, one of the chairs in the upstairs sitting room just returned from the upholsterer. After admiring it, the girls insisted on showing off for the camera.



It's a holiday weekend. Other than a political dinner tonight and watching hurricane coverage on telly, we've got no particular plans. The next fortnight will be madness, so I prefer a quite few days.

Wishing you a lovely weekend, too.

No comments: