"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Flyers & Flora



At the Lodge we've got 3 male orioles zipping about, singing and preening for the benefit of a single female.

These grosbeaks, however, seemed to have paired up. I think it's a lunch date.



There's at least one other pair and I think a stray male. He should post a personal: "Single B&W Red-Chested Bird Seeks Mate."

We also have a single loon on the little lake. He's been rather quiet, but I'm sure he'll soon be making his looon-y singsong call.

I'm picking lots of bouquets looking like this:



Anemone, bergenia, hyacinth, mini-daffodil, jonquilla simplex, grape hyancinth, and fritillaria (which can't actually be seen.)

This photo doesn't convey the enormity of the yellow monster.



It's about 10 or more feet tall and nearly as broad. Every spring I mean to whack it down to size as soon as the blooms drop off. But then the black flies come out or I'm at the lake and then it's too late in the season....Perhaps this year....

This is one of the lovely azaleas on the walkway at church.



The School for Vestries, held yesterday, was a huge success. I had a blast. It was a long day but such a good one.

This is the day that we officially purchased the Lodge. At the time, we were living at the lake cottage while waiting to take possession of our dream home. (We moved in on 15-16 June). That was 17 years ago. I've spent today in both locations, which seems appropriate.

After church and a Mother's Day chat with my mum and re-potting some plants and herbs (my right hand is fully functional again, though its appearance isn't back to normal) and transferring several houseplants to the deck, I brought the doggie girls to the lake cottage for a few days. We passed through an incredible downpour on the drive up, but by the time we reached the supermarket at the roundabout, the sun was shining and the sky blue. I stopped at my favourite nursery for some herbs and container plants for cookery and for the window planters. Had a lovely, long walk with the dogs. The world is green and the trees newly leafed-out everywhere, but deep in these woods the beeches and birches and oaks have scarcely sprouted. So I have nearly open views to the lake from places where the foliage will obscure it during summer.

The lake is extremely quiet. Few waterfowl. Fewer watercraft.


No comments: