"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, May 20, 2011

Sun-less. Still.



Somewhere behind that cloud is one-half or two-thirds of a mountain. I can't quite remember, it's been so long since I've seen the whole thing.

The sun hasn't shone upon these parts--meaning New England--for longer than a week. We've had more than our share of rain, but even without rain the skies are grey, the air is thick with mist or fog, the air is damp and chilly.

We were led to expect a shift this weekend, but now it's looking iffy. Even next week's forecast contains showery days. (But perhaps some sunshine as well. Here's hoping!)

I'm not sure what time the purported Rapture is supposed to occur tomorrow. I'll start and finish the day on my beloved lake and in between have a meeting--at a church--so I'm not much fussed where I am if the event should in fact present itself. I'd rather not be on the highway.

The Chap will be joining us soon. He hasn't had the chance to overnight at the cottage yet.

Last night I finished my cousin's novel. I read the final and very creepy chapters all alone, in a remote cottage. Very brave of me. I confess, I did freak out a little when the reading light over the bed suddenly went out! I assumed the bulb had gone, but in fact it had turned itself off. The timing is highly suspicious.

A piece of history was removed from the hillside this morning--a wooden electrical pole on the adjacent property that was put in place in 1936. Our neighbour remembers when it was installed. The Electric Co-op has been here all morning, cutting trees and branches and running the chipper and taking down the pole and putting up the new pole and re-hanging cables and wires. They thought they'd have to cut my power here, but they didn't.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend. If you have sunshine, make the most of it!


No comments: