"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, June 17, 2011

Long & Busy Days



When the dogs woke me at 5:00 a.m. to feed them breakfast and take them outside, I noticed the full moon shining on the bay...a lovely view at dawn. After taking the photo, we returned to our beds.

We arrived here yesterday. I've not spotted my favourite fish and am unsure about the current stage of his reproduction cycle. But the little phoebes have sprouted! The nest contains these downy lumps, and the parents dart about the property collecting food for the hatchlings.



So many meetings--3 on Tuesday, all related, and I wasn't home till 10 p.m. In the midst of deadlines and assorted mayhem, I've been desperate for the peace of the lake. The place isn't as quiet as usual, the Annual Motorcycle Week are wrapping up on the opposite side of the lake and there's a constant low hum from the bike engines as they travel up and down Route 11-A across the Bay. But it's so nice being here that I don't mind a bit. The Chap joins us later.

It's the season when I feel torn about leaving the Lodge. My roses are quite a bit later in blooming, nearly 2 weeks late, I estimate. But the bushes are laden with buds--even plants that have not bloomed for several years. (I'm so thankful I didn't "shovel prune" them, i.e. dig them up and toss them on the rubbish heap!)

Here are my earliest bloomers:

Therese Bugnet, rugosa hybrid



Stanwell Perpetual, Scotch rose hybrid.



Many more to come!

Wishing you a happy weekend.


No comments: