"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Roses

Yes, it's that season again. And as I suspected, this is turning out to be a banner year for roses. Life is quite hectic but I've carved out some time to weed my rose and perennial beds, meaning I've been up close and personal with my beautiful, fragrant friends.

Quatre Saisons, aka the Autumn Damask, dating from Roman times.



Rose de Rescht, another Autumn Damask type, age unknown, discovered in the 20th century in an old Persian garden.



Rosa mundi, a Medival gallica.



L'Eveque aka The Bishop, another gallica from 1790.




A form of Rosa canina, wild species. (In England, a hedgerow rose.)



Alba semi-plena, aka White Rose of York, known from about the 1500's.



More to come. Many more! At the moment I must race out and cut these blossoms and others, so the coming rain doesn't spoil them. The Lodge will soon be smelling of roses!


No comments: