"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sometimes the Job Finds You

I'm a recovering classified ads addict. I used to be a lot worse, then I got better, and lately I'm falling back into the old habit. Well, it's summertime, and people are sellin' stuff. Even if I'm not buying anything, I get hooked. Want ads in New England papers are often as entertaining as they can be informative.

Every Sunday I pore over the Employment section. My careers, present and previous, have been, shall we say, "nontraditional," so I'm fascinated to see what else a person can do for a living. (It seems those jobs in the paper actually provide regular weekly or monthly paychecks--just imagine!)

Other jobs sound so, so normal compared to mine. Which, basically, is listening to the voices in my head and writing down what they say. Or taking notes while reading diaries by obscure social/political personalities from 300 years ago. Or heading across an ocean to a royal palace just to wander through a garden and gaze upon a painting.

This week I noticed a very unusual, not quite normal yet highly intriguing job opportunity under "Part Time Help Wanted":


BAT TRAPPER
Remove from roof peak in A-frame house.
Hourly.


As any longtime reader of my blog knows, I rather like bats and I've got experience in bat photography, and bat-rescue photojournalism.



Only trouble is, I don't like ladders and heights and roof peaks. So I suppose I'm not really cut out to be a bat-trapper, except when the bats already happen to be down on my level.

There's also the fact that the town where the bat/s want trapping is a long way from my home. It would have to be a pretty steep hourly rate to even cover my travel expence.

Rats.

Or should I say, Bats.

Rose of the Day:
Rosa alba semi-plena, a simple white alba rose dating from the 16th century. Or earlier.

No comments: