"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

April Come She Will

April, she will come in like a lion! Two days of fierce winds accompanied by mild temperatures. Yesterday the mercury shot up above 50 degrees--no fooling! Snow was evaporating so rapidly that my part of the state was completely embraced by thick fog.

Our return journey Monday afternoon was very wet and my view from the train window wasn't terribly clear. Didn't feel well, either, so I napped along the way. Collecting the girls was the best possible medicine. They were wild with joy to be home again.

Yesterday morning I felt a lot better though still needed medication. I had an afternoon appointment with the Bishop, to discuss upcoming Council agendas and our Fall Tour of North Country Churches. I'm so excited! Then I busted in on my two canon friends and we coordinated our social calendars. I trotted over to the State House to clean out my mail box and stop by the House Clerk's Office. On the way home I stopped to pick up our accumulated mail and re-start delivery, and purchase a big bag of bird bread at the bread outlet store.

In advance it seemed like a fairly routine, un-taxing sort of day. However, in New York all I had to do was go up and down in a hotel elevator and sit in a ballroom listening to workshop speakers, which doesn't really require any stamina at all. Driving and meeting and talking and thinking and walking downtown block and so on required more stamina than I possessed. So by the time I got back to the Lodge, I was practically horizontal with weariness.

Of course my mother phoned to ask about the trip and I had to 'fess up that the germ I'd carried with me to the City had returned home with me and was bedevilling me still. Chicken soup, she insisted. Bed rest.

I'm following this prescription as best I can. Bed rest--check. Chicken--check, except it will come in the form of green chile chicken burritos for supper.

This morning our official state bird, the purple finch, arrived at our feeders. At this moment I'm watching him make a pig of himself over the safflower seed. I checked my records--purple finches typcially arrive in the second or third week of April. Our long winter hasn't thrown him off schedule. Quite the contrary, he's a bit early--although one did arrive on this very date in 1996, so it isn't unprecedented.

All the melting has exposed my garden bench, and part of a garden statue, which I've not seen for many months.



And--thrill thrill--I've spotted some snowdrops! Mind you, the snow barriers are still too massive to let me approach my snowdrops for close-up photography. Or to tidy up around them. But I did manage to zoom in from the distance of the big deck.



I've got a new flowering plant. The Chap purchased this kalanchoe at one of the garden centres in Chelsea. It brightened our hotel room/sickroom and returned with us to brighten the Lodge.



No more catting around for me for a couple of days. Plenty of activity on the horizon and I really must restore my health. I don't have much experience of illness, so I'm very impatient to feel well again.


No comments: