"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, April 28, 2008

A Change in the Weather

The hot, dry days of last week have given way to chilly, soaking rain. And a very good thing, too, for the garden--good ground preparation for the roses that are on their way to me--and a much-needed dampening for these Northern woods. Too many brush fires lately.

A portion of "our" mountain--the bigger one we view from the cottage on the Big Lake--was on fire Friday and Saturday. About 40 acres of it burned...crews and equipment from 40 towns were on the site. I'm not sure whether any damage would be visible from our vantage.



Over the past 24 hours I've returned to wearing sweaters and flannel and thick socks. We'd removed the winter duvet from our bed but now have replaced it with woollen blankets.

Last night I tried recreating in the Lodge kitchen those amazing pan-seared scallops I enjoyed at the restaurant last week...with considerable success. My reduction was a bit different but I couldn't help being pleased by how it turned out.

Tonight I'm making Colorado Chili.

I carefully avoid online time-wasters. All work and no play on the internets, that's me. I am, however, a sucker for good causes and thus allow myself to do Free Rice in small doses, forcing myself to stop at 2000 grains. (Except for the time I went to 2700...I was on a roll.)

If, perchance, you're in need of amusement, check this out: Online Etch-A-Sketch. I tried it just long enough to make sure it works. It doesn't feed people and increase your vocabulary, like Free Rice, but it's creative and fun.

At this moment Ruth and Jewel are barking at the snowshoe hare, dining in the driving rain. I suspect I can distract them with an offer of doggie dinner!


No comments: