"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Leaving & Haying

Been working on the book. Till late yesterday, when Ruth and I had to run Jewel to the vet for a brief visit. The dogs had a little turf war in the bedroom at 3 a.m.--in the dark--Monday morning over beds. A minor injury resulted but I was worried about infection. All is well and after a day of tension the girls are bestest buddies and playmates again.

I celebrated the concluding hours of a most lovely (and productive!) week at the cottage with a bottle of Mort Subite, my beloved raspberry beer, imported from Belgium (via Quebec).



Today I left the Big Lake and probably won't return for a while. We've got a major renovation project scheduled here at the Lodge--master bath--and I need to be on the scene to supervise. Plus at the weekends there are some campaign-related activities. Oh, and the weeds have overtaken the gardens. I think there might just be a shred of hope that I might vanquish them. When this heat wave ends, I'll certainly make the effort.

Went down to the dock this afternoon for some parting shots.

Oh, how I hate to leave the blueberries! (I ate the ripened ones, right off the bush, and called it lunch!)



Marigolds in the boathouse window box. They were planted about five years ago, and self sow. Yellow is my preferred colour for this little flower--for me, the only possible colour. Orange doesn't do much for me. Is mine a minority opinion?



After all the 4th of July holidaymakers left, and always after a weekend, the lake was very quiet. Hardly any boats, very few kayaks. But there was some traffic at the south end of the Bay...

A blimp!



This was a first for me. I've seen helicopters and small planes and floatplanes and float-hangliders in our airspace. Never a blimp.

It was the Hood milk company blimp. And because I seemed to be just about the only person out there on the Bay watching, it came in lower and really close to my dock. I waved at them but their altitude made it impossible to tell if they were waving back.



It was a lovely drive back to the Lodge. The weather is hot and dry, perfect for haying. My friends with hayfields are busy, busy, busy. The cutting was finished on the big hilly meadow up the road, and the baling was underway. I just love haying time...although it does mean summer is advancing quickly.

Went to the hairdresser today, have a much shorter cut and love it. During my time facing the mirror, I tried to decide if my face shows that I've lost--wait for it--14 pounds. That's a stone! My latest goal is a total of 15. Nearly there. Once I make it, I'll try to remember to explain! For a while I only knew I'd lost the weight because of the digits on the scale. But now I'm very much aware of the bodily change.

I'm also aware of my husband's absence. The Chap left yesterday for a conference in Denver. We lived in that area for 11 years and for the first few years we lived in NH he occasionally commuted back to his office. (When he wasn't communting across the Atlantic Ocean.) Today he got together with a former professor and business partner. Tonight he's dining at our most favourite Mexican restaurant there, playing tour guide to his office colleagues. I'm trying not to be jealous. It's not easy.

The little lake has been completely overshadowed by the Big Lake on this blog. So here's a small part of it, captured as the girls and I arrived late today.



It's dusk as I write this, and the loon is out there on the water, calling. Welcoming us back.


No comments: