"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, July 21, 2008

Together Again



I captured this Queen Anne's lace yesterday morning and forgot to post it as part of my stroll. Turns out, Mibsy featured a very similar one.

Yes, the girls did levitate when our man arrived home late last night. Later than expected, as his plane sat on the tarmac for a few hours at Chicago, held up by foul weather on the East Coast.

He passed the time by playing Good Samaritan, and turning me into one, too. His young seatmate was meeting a British Airways flight to London, and flying from there to Ireland. And because it looked like she wouldn't make her trans-Atlantic plane, the Chap phoned me on his mobile--from the plane--to go online and look up timetables so he could coordinate Aer Lingus and Irish Rail and Bus Eireann connections as her Plan B. She couldn't have asked for a better assistant than he, because he's spent so much time working there, zipping about from Dublin to Cork to Galway to Shannon to (fill in the blank.) Sometimes with me, sometimes not. Not only did I earn my travel agent stripes, of course, I now long to be in Eire again.

I'm not planning that trip, but have begun pre-planning for Washington, DC and London. I've got an opportunity to go to Montréal as well but might forgo that one for several reasons, one of which is book writing. I have implicit faith in the Chap to do my usual shopping and stocking up. He can manage most of it at SAQ and PharmaPrix or Jean Coutu.

Yesterday I got caught up in the Mad Men day and night marathon. In-tense! Looking forward to the new season, starting next Sunday at 10 p.m.

The Chap was asked to do the readings at tomorrow's funeral--partly because he has such A Voice. As parish photographer, I was assigned at task, too. I spent part of the afternoon reviewing the parish photo archive, looking for shots of a wonderful and much-loved 86 year-old who should've lived to age 106. Truly it will be a celebration of a long life well-lived.


No comments: